CMap’s Report Builder tool enables you to easily create your own custom reports using the data within CMap. This guide will provide you with an overview of the core functionality of the CMap Report Builder Tool and provide you with the basic skills to enable you to build your own custom reports in CMap.
In this article, we’ll look at:
- Access Report Builder
- Report Builder Layout
- Report Types
- Report Details
- Basic & Calculated Data
- Custom Calculations
- Tools Menu
Access Report Builder
1. From your Dashboard, head to the Reports tab. Select Report Builder.
2. Click on the left-hand side of the screen.
Report Builder Layout
Once you have created a new report, you will see several key areas, highlighted in the screenshot below.
The first action is to select the Report Type that will be used to create the Custom Report Dashboard.
Selecting the correct Report Type is very important as each type links to a specific database that stores key information held in CMap. The selection of the Report Type can therefore impact the entries that will be included in the Custom Report.
Let’s look at an example…
If you select the Companies Report Type and create a simple report with one column Company Name, this report will include all Companies that have been set up in CMap.
However, if you select the Contacts Report Type and create the same report with only the Company Name field, the report will only include Companies that also have a Contact added in CMap. This is because the Report Type is looking at the Contacts Database rather than the Companies Database.
There are six fields within the Report Details section of Report Builder. The final four fields utilise Report Builder’s drag and drop functionality to add Basic Data and Calculated Fields.
This is the name of the Report.
Enter guidance/information on the purpose of the report that will be visible to the end-users when their cursor hovers over the icon.
The Preset Filters will pre-filter the data before it is accessed by the end user.
Note: Certain Preset Filters cannot be used in conjunction with a Portfolio box. If you include any of these, a warning will be shown and the preset filters which aren't compatible will be removed.
The User Filters enable the end-user to filter the report each time it is run on a case-by-case basis, as required.
The basic columns that will appear in the report. The ordering of the fields will also be replicated within the Custom Report
The Column Groups feature can be used to create more advanced Custom Reports. The first field added will be used to group the subsequent fields that are added.
Basic & Calculated Data
Basic Data is the core information that has been entered into CMap and is stored within the CMap database relating to the Report Type selected when creating the Custom Report. As a result, the Basic Data available will vary based on the Report Type that has been selected.
Basic Data is typically fields that are not numeric or that typically cannot be used as part of a wider calculation.
There are a few exceptions, such as Probability that can be used within a Custom Calculation.
The Basic Data Fields can be added as Preset or User Filters and added to Columns /Column Groups using the drag-and-drop functionality.
Calculated Data is numeric data fields that can be used in isolation or as part of Custom Calculation.
Aligned to Basic Data, the Calculated Data available will vary depending upon the Report Type selected.
Custom Calculations enable you to perform a calculation with the Calculated Data Fields available in the selected Report Type and then include the output of the calculation as a Column / Column Group, or even as a filter.
1. In order to create the Custom Calculation, use the drag and drop functionality to add the Field to the Columns section in the first instance.
2. Click on the blue Custom Calc field. This will launch the Custom Calculation Builder pop-out window. Once the window is open, you will be able to:
- Drag and Drop a Calculated Data field into the pop-out window.
- Add brackets into your equation, by selecting Click here to add a set.
- Add a specific number by selecting Add a number entry box.
You can re-order any of the above using the drag and drop functionality to create the calculation as required.
3. Once created, you can then:
- Rename the Custom Calculation as required: Click the Custom Calc in the blue header of the Custom Report.
- Move the Custom Calculation: To act as a Column Group or as a Preset / User Filter.
There are two Global Filters that are available, subject to the Report Type selected. The two Global Filters can be added as either a Preset Filter or as a User Filter.
Global Date Range
The Global Date Range filter can be used to add a specific date range to the report. This can be very useful if you are looking to limit the report content to include only information relating to the current Calendar Year, for example.
The Currency filter is used to convert all monetary values included within the Custom Report into a specified currency, using the Exchange Rates set up in the Finance section of CMap.
Click here to learn how to set up Exchange Rates.
In a few Report Types, Currency is also a Basic Data field, such as Project Currency, Invoice Currency, etc. The Currency (Basic Data) field relates to the default currency of the corresponding item (Project/Invoice).
- Adding the Currency (Basic Data) field as a filter and selecting USD would limit the results of the Custom Report to only include the items that have a default currency of USD.
- Using the Currency Global Filter will include all items regardless of their default currency, but instead convert all values into USD.
Once the Custom Report / Dashboard has been designed, the Tools section of Report Builder is typically the final section that will be used.
What can I do using the Tools menu?
- Delete the Report or Copy the Report if you wish to use the report as the basis for a new Custom Report.
- Edit the Layout of the Report, including adding Graphs / Bar Charts within the Layout Editor. All data displayed in the graphs will align to the data included in the final report, so these will automatically update based on any Preset Filters or Custom Filters that are applied.
- Publish the Report as a Custom Report, Mobile Report, or even as a Dashboard.
- Share the Report, either with a specific individual or a Security Group. The end-user will then be able to access the report within the Custom Reports section of CMap.
- Export to Excel. There are 3 options (see example screenshots below):
1. A Standard export which will generate a report structured as displayed within Report Builder;
2. A Details export that will generate a report with each row of each merged field populated;
3. An Unmerged export will generate a report structured as displayed but with no merged fields and only the first row populated with the data field, and the remaining fields left blank.