This lesson explains how to use the Manage Invoice Templates tool in CMAP.
Step 1: Go into the Admin tab, find the Manage Invoice Templates tool and click it. Once open displayed will be all invoice templates that exist in your system (in cases of multiple CMAP offices you will see a dropdown menu to view each offices individual templates).
When creating an invoice, CMAP automatically inserts data such as your client's name and address onto your invoice template. It does this by searching your template for 'bookmarks' that it recognises. Bookmarks tell CMAP to ‘insert data here’. All you need to do is insert bookmarks onto your invoice Word document template in the places where you'd like the data to appear e.g., the bookmark 'projectcode' where you’d like the CMAP Project Code to appear on the invoice.
Here's how to insert a bookmark in Word:
1. Open Word.
2. On the Insert tab of the Word Ribbon, select Bookmark to open the Bookmark dialog box. Alternatively, place the cursor where you want the bookmark to be and press Ctrl+Shift+F5.
3. Under Bookmark name type a bookmark from the Available Bookmarks list linked below.
Bookmarks are case sensitive, so it is imperative that you name your bookmarks correctly and with the correct case, or they won't work.
NOTE: Bookmarks will adopt the font style from where they are placed, so be sure to set your font style to the desired setting before inserting your bookmark.
NOTE: Bookmarks are invisible, so don’t be alarmed when you see nothing appear on the Word document.
1. There is a helpful feature that makes managing these bookmarks easier by making their location displayed within word, if you haven't got this turned on follow the steps File>Options> Advanced > Show bookmarks part way down the screen.
2. Formatting - if you want a specific bookmark to be formatted in a particular way, red text for example, you can enter a placeholder word/phrase. You can then highlight this text and add the bookmark around it. When the template populates the bookmarked text will override the placeholder in the same format. You do need to just be aware if there is no text for the bookmark to pull in the placeholder text would remain when created.
Click here for a list of available bookmarks
You also have the ability to bookmark any custom fields you have created for your version. If you have any custom fields on Projects, Accounts (Companies) or Contacts you are able to bookmark these and have them show on your invoices.
To add these you will need to have created the custom field first, using the CMAP > Admin > Custom field manager tool, you will have given the custom field a name. To include a custom field in your invoice template just add the full custom field name following this with '_cf' these fields will then be added to your invoice.
NOTE: If the custom field is not mandatory and has been left blank on the particular entry no detail would be pulled into the template.
Step 1: Go into the Admin tab, find the Manage Invoice Templates tool and select it.
NOTE: Ensure you have created your Invoice Template using the instructions in How Invoice Templates Work and used appropriate bookmarks as noted in Available Bookmarks above.
NOTE: You can use the Test Invoice Template tool (found in the right-hand panel) to test your invoice template before you upload it. Simply click Choose File, Browse and Open the Word document, then click Check Test Template. CMAP will automatically download a version of your template with test data populating your bookmarks. This enables you to spot and rectify any errors or formatting issues.
Step 2: Choose the Office that you wish to upload your template to from the dropdown list.(if you have multiple offices)
Step 3: Click Add New Template. You will then need to…
1. Name the Template, completing the New Template name text box.
2. Select what type of template it is; Standard Invoice, Credit Note, Syndication or Purchase Order Note: Only the options that are relevant to your CMAP instance will appear.
3. Then choose the file you wish to upload by using the Choose File function to browse and upload the relevant Word document.
Step 4: Select Add Template
NOTE: Be careful not to click the “add template” multiple times as it will duplicate your templates which have to be removed by CMAP Support you cannot do this yourself.
Step 1: Go into the Admin tab, find the Manage Invoice Templates tool and select.
Step 2: Select the Office from the dropdown list (if you have multiple offices).
Step 3: Click the Download Template link next to the template details.
NOTE: The template will be downloaded to your PC. Depending on your browser it will save to different areas of your computer. If you wish to work on this template e.g. make an edit, or access it at a later date, be sure to save it somewhere memorable.
Step 1: Go into the Admin tab, find the Manage Invoice Templates tool and click it.
Step 2: Select the relevant Office from the dropdown list (if you have multiple offices).
Step 3: Find the template that you wish to edit and click the Edit pencil icon. You will now have two options:
1. Change the Template Name.
2. Use the Choose File function to Browse, Open and Save a new file to override the existing template.
NOTE: If you wish to edit the template document download a copy of the existing one as explained in Downloading a Copy of an Existing Template, then make your changes. Save the document in Word, then override the existing template with your new version as described in Step 3.
Here are some helpful hints we have learned along the way when editing and creating invoice templates
1.Tables are an easy way to display multiple bookmarks in a compact area where they can be easily formatted. Whenever possible we recommend that text is within a table or text box to make formatting easier.
2. Before you begin to edit the formatting and getting the look of the document correct, it is worthwhile that you ensure the bookmarks have all been added. It is much easier to change the appearance at the end rather than as you go along once you know that all of the data you require is included.
3. We are often asked for a breakdown of time spent on a particular stage of an invoice, these cannot be bookmarked to an invoice template. If you need this to additional information to supply with your invoice there is an option to include a backing sheet which you will find on the right panel of the individual invoice screen, this will be downloaded with the invoice if the boxes on the invoice screen are selected.
4. If you need to have the same bookmark in multiple locations simply add '_1' on the second instance of adding the bookmark i.e 'company_1', this will add the bookmark in both locations.
5. If you no longer using a template anymore as it’s out of date and no longer needed. Why not save over this template with the new invoice template to avoid cluttering.
6. If you want all of the inserted text with bookmarks to be of the same formatting, right click on the Normal Styles option on the top ribbon in Word and choose the style and size you’d like, this will then apply to all text and bookmarks.