This lesson talks you through how to create a Timeline for your project, which you can use to support your quote and feed CMAP’s resourcing reports.
NOTE: The timeline is only available if you have this switched on as a feature in your CMAP Instance.
Step 1: Find your project in the Pipeline area and click into the Timeline area.
You will be taken straight to the Timeline, which contains (from left-to-right):
- No. – A running number of the Tasks across all the Fee Stages in the Fee Estimator
- % – The Percentage Complete of the Task taken from the Budget vs Actual (this applies if it’s a Live Project)
- Tasks – The description of the Task taken from the Fee Estimator, along with an overview of the Budgeted Hours (NOTE: hover over the Budgeted Hours to see which “Roles” have been allocated to the time)
- Predecessors – Dependencies on the Tasks. For example, if Task No. 2 cannot start until Task No. 1 is completed, the Predecessor of Task 2 will be Task 1 (NOTE: you can apply Predecessors throughout your project or just at key stages)
- Start – The predicted Start Date of the project (which originates with the Estimated Start Date taken from the Project Details page) and each the subsequent predicted Start Dates of each Task
- End – The predicted End Date of each Task
- Duration The duration of the Task in Days
NOTE: You can drag and drop a Task by clicking on the relevant green bar and moving it to a new position on the Timeline using the mouse.
NOTE: Rather than adjusting the Start and End Dates to lengthen or shorten the duration of a Task, you can click on the edge of a Task and use the mouse to drag the stage in or out. The mouse will turn to the two-directional arrow icon to indicate it’s grabbing the edge of the Task.
NOTE: If you add Predecessors, CMAP will automatically adjust the Timeline of the following Tasks. For example, if you have four Tasks and you say each Task is dependent on the previous Task being finished (by adding the previous Task’s No. as its Predecessor in the ‘Predecessors’ box). This means that (for example), if the Start Date of Task No. 1 was pushed back by a week, Task No.’s 2, 3 and 4 would also be pushed back by a week.
NOTE: You can choose to view the Timeline by Day, Week or Month, by clicking the options found at the top-right
NOTE: You can Export a copy of the Timeline using the Export dropdown at the top-right. The Timeline can export in Daily, Weekly or Monthly format.
NOTE: You can add a Milestone, Non-Billable Task or Deadline to the Timeline by clicking the + Add item button located within the Timeline table under the End and Duration columns. All you need to do is give the new Item a description, select whether it’s a New Milestone, New Non-Billable Task or New Deadline and click Save to add the Item to your Timeline (NOTE: Use the mouse to position the Item at its relevant place in the Timeline).