There’s a new way to create and manage your Custom Fields in CMAP.
CMAP Pages not only enables you to add Custom Fields to existing areas of CMAP, you can now also create brand new pages of your own too!
First let’s have a look at Standard Pages and managing your Custom Fields.
The Standard Pages tool is the new and improved area in CMAP to manage your existing and to create new Custom Fields within the standard CMAP tabs.
You can use this feature to;
- Add Custom Fields to standard CMAP pages
- Edit existing Custom Fields
- Re-order your Custom Fields using the new ‘Drag and Drop’ functionality
Custom fields give you ultimate flexibility to capture the data you need against Contacts, Accounts, Projects and Users within CMAP. In this lesson we'll look at how to create a new Custom Field using the Pages tool.
To create a new custom field, follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Go into the Admin tab and click on the Pages tool under ‘Content’ in the grey panel on the left-hand side.
- Step 2: You’ll be given the option of selecting an area of CMAP (i.e. Company Details, Contact Details, Lead Details, Potential Project Details, Live Project Details or User Details) to add your Custom Field to. Select the relevant one from the dropdown list.
Once you have selected the area of CMAP you want to add your custom field to, you will be taken to the Page Editor screen.
NOTE: If you already have Custom Fields set up against this area, they will be detailed here. Existing custom fields will stand out as they are black (compared to the grey Standard Fields) and will have edit, delete and move icons for each custom field.
Step 3: Add a Custom Field - You now need to define how you want to capture data via the Custom Field:
- Field Type – Select a Field Type from the dropdown list
- Text Field= A free text box for the user to add notes or comments (you also have the option to set a character limit on these types of fields)
- Dropdown List= A list of pre-defined choices the user can choose from
- Date= A pop-out calendar will allow the user to select a date
- Yes/No= A simple Yes/No tick box
- Multi-line Text Field= A free text box that enables the user to add multiple lines of notes/comments
- Multi-Select Dropdown List = A list of pre-defined choices with the ability to select more than one option.
- Multi-Select (with score) = A list of pre-defined choices with the ability to select more than one option and to add a numerical score.
- User Dropdown List = A list of system users to select from
- User Multi-Select Dropdown List = A list of system users with the ability to select several options.
NOTE: Not all of these options will be relevant to all areas that you can add a Custom Field to.
- Field Name= Enter the name of your custom field
- Bookmark= Enter the name your custom field will be identified by if is to be used as a document bookmark (i.e. ‘What Eent Well?’ Might be called whatwentwell for the bookmark.
- Tooltip= Enter a brief explanation of the data required in this field to guide the person who will be completing it in CMAP
NOTE: If you have added a Dropdown List or Multi-Select Dropdown List you will also need to update the dropdown list options to choose from using the Dropdown List Editor tool (see the separate lesson for Dropdown List Editor).
Step 4: You can customise your choices further by selecting the following options:
- Required Field – Ticking this makes it a mandatory field.
- Additional options for a ‘User’ custom field
- Private - Ticking this makes the field only visible to members of a specific security group.
- Self Serve – Ticking this makes the field available for the user to amend/update themselves within their profile.
Step 5: Once happy,
- Click Add Fieldand the Custom Field will automatically be applied at the bottom of the list of existing fields
- Click the ‘Move’ icon to drag & drop the Custom Field to reorder as required. You can clearly see where your field will be placed when in ‘move’ mode by watching the green bar which moves with the field. The green bar indicates where the field will be placed.
Managing your Custom Fields
You can also edit, archive and group your Custom Fields using this tool.
- Click the Edit pencil icon to edit a Custom Field. You can then edit the details in the Update Custom Field panel on the right-hand side. Once you have made your edits, click Update Field.
- Click 'X'to archive a Custom Field that is no longer required. This removes the Custom Field from the relevant area. Any fields that have already been captured will remain intact.