User custom fields give you ultimate flexibility to record whatever information you need to for users in CMAP. In this lesson we'll look at how to use the Pages tool.
To create a new custom field, follow the steps below:
Step 1: Go into the Admin tab, find the Pages tool and click it.
Step 2: You will be given the option of selecting an area of CMAP (i.e., Company Details, Contact Details, Live Project Details or User Details) to add your Custom Field too. Click the “User Details” from the Standard Pages list.
NOTE: If you already have Custom Fields set up, they will be detailed here.
Step 3: You now need to define how you want to capture data via the Custom Field:
- Name – Enter an appropriate name e.g. 'Language'
- Field Type – Select a Field Type from the dropdown list
- Text Field= A free text box for the user to add notes or comments (limited to a single line)
- Dropdown List= A list of pre-defined choices the user can choose from
- Date= A pop-out calendar will allow the user to select a date
- Yes/No= A simple Yes/No tick box
- Multi-Level Dropdown List= A list of pre-defined choices, with further choices that depend on the initial selection made
- Multi-line Text Field= A free text box that enables the user to add multiple lines of notes/comments
- Multi-Select Dropdown List = A list of pre-defined choices with the ability to select more than one option
- Multi-Select (with score) = A list of pre-defined choices with the ability to select more than one option and to add a numerical score
- User Dropdown List = A list of system users to select from
- User Multi-Select Dropdown List = A list of system users with the ability to select several options
NOTE: Not all of these options will be relevant to the User Custom Fields.
Step 4: You can customise your choices further by selecting the following options:
- Levels – This only applies to Multi-Level Dropdown Lists and is used to define how many levels of data you wish to capture e.g. 'Europe' may be a first level option with 'Germany', 'France', 'Spain', etc. as second level options
- Required Field – Ticking this makes it a mandatory field
- Self Serve – Ticking this makes the field available for the user to amend/update themselves within their profile
- Position – Which position you would like it to take in the list of data capture fields in the relevant area i.e. selecting '1' puts it at the top
- Private – Un-ticking this will make this field visible to users with access to the HR module. Only mark fields as not private if they don’t contain sensitive data you would like to share with others
- Group – Allows you to select a pre-defined subheading that the custom field will sit within
Step 5: Once happy,
- Click Add Field and the Custom Field will automatically be added to the bottom of the list. To move the field, drag and drop it to where you would like it to be positioned
- Click the Edit pencil icon to edit a Custom Field. Once you have made your edits, click Save
- Click 'X' to archive a Custom Field that is no longer required. This removes the Custom Field from the relevant area. Any fields that have already been captured will remain intact
- If you have added a Dropdown List or Multi-level Dropdown List you will need to provide the Items users can select from using the Dropdown List Editor tool (see the lesson for Dropdown List Editor)