Edition: All Editions
Plan: Pro & Enterprise
The Staff Utilization report details the forward-looking projection of utilization for each of your roles, combining working hours, resourcing allocation and unavailable time (e.g. time off). Every user also has an individual breakdown.
The report enables you to see when you are heading towards a period where demand outweighs capacity and it’s time to consider hiring.
The report can be found in a number of places:
- Reports > Standard Reports > Resourcing > Staff Utilization
- Resourcing > Resourcing Reports > Core Reports > Staff Utilization
- From within a project’s Resource Schedule, click “More Stuff” > Staff Utilization
Explanation of Conditional formatting:
- Red = 0—20% utilization
- Amber = 20—75% utilization
- Green = 75—100% utilization
- White cell with red outline = >100% utilization (i.e. the user is over-allocated)
Explanation of the Totals section:
- Current Staff = The number of FTEs available in that time period
- Time Off / Internal Codes = The number of FTEs on time off / resourced to internal codes in that time period
- Allocated = The number of FTEs allocated to projects in that time period
- Placeholders = The number of FTEs required to fulfil placeholder demand in that time period
- Available / Overspill = The number of additional/fewer FTEs required in that time period
(Current Staff – Time Off / Internal Codes – Allocated – Placeholders = Available / Overspill)
Scenario: In the image above, you can see that utilization is pretty optimal for the next 7 weeks, but as of the week of 26th April we have an Overspill of around 1 FTE. In this situation, we have a couple of things we can consider:
- Do we have available FTE in other roles that could cover the excess demand?
- Does this look like a peak (as in we return to our current FTE level shortly after) or does this look like sustained demand, in which case we need to plan to hire?